Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Match Day...

The day that has been burned into our minds for the past year (4 years?) has finally come and gone. It was such an intense and crazy experience that I want to be sure I write about it before I forget the details. It's a long drawn out story that is not going to be interesting to anyone, but this is as close to journaling as I get so here we go. Trent decided about a year ago that he wanted to specialize in ophthalmology (eyes.) So begins the process of applying to residency programs, jumping every time you get an email hoping its an interview and flying around the country trying to impress everyone.

After all the interviewing and butt-kissing, He had really good relationships and worked well with the people in the department here at OSU, so we thought we would probably end up staying in Columbus for another 4 years. Trent was lucky enough to get an interview at the University of Utah and had loved it - but we thought no go. Probably 10% shot, with only 3 spots in such a good program with so many interviews and Mormon kids wanting to get back home. Better to not get our hopes up for such a slim chance. Trent and I didn't actually realize how much it meant to us to get back there until Lucy cried every morning for a week when we came home from Christmas. I started house-hunting online around CBUS to get myself pumped up for sticking around.

January 12th we thought we might hear from the programs - optho is early match and all of the other graduating med students don't rank their programs or match until March. January 11th we didn't sleep. January 12th comes and goes without a word.. didn't sleep again. January 13th... We know Trent is going to get a call that morning from the program directory of the residency program where he matched.  I am a total hormonal pregnant, psycho zombie. Since I once again couldn't sleep I had been up since 4 a.m reading high-quality literature written by Nicole Richie herself.

Trent is off to mandatory skills classes that he absolutely can't miss.. My phone rings at 8:45 a.m ET. My immediate gut reaction is - oh no, that's it. Utah wouldn't call us this early (6:45 MT).  I am pep-talking myself into being positive for Trent's sake while I walk over to my phone.. I hate all the pressure they are under when they are constantly scrutinized and compared - they are so hard on themselves and I wanted to try really hard not to add to his disappointment.

I pick up the phone and all he says is - Babe - we're going home. He may have said more but this was too much for my pregnant, hormonal lack of sleep self to process. I burst into tears, asked if he was serious/joking and was so surprised that I actually fell on my knees on the ground. I don't think I have ever cried so hard in my life with all of the pent-up fear, emotion, escalated hormones, no sleep, expectations and happiness/shock I was feeling. Lucy was very concerned. Trent told me later - I have NEVER heard you like that - I said.. I don't think I have ever BEEN like that.

I could only talk to Trent for about 30 seconds before he had to run into class. He was able to get a text off to his fam and that was it for him the next four hours. I think I just kept repeating ARE YOU SURE THIS IS REAL? Trent just sounded like he was in complete and total shock.

First phone call - to my mom of course. I was crying so hard I think she thought Lucy was in the hospital.. I choked out my news and her first question is.... ARE YOU JOKING? Seriously are we alike or what? Scares me. Anyway, I we cry together for a minute or two, and then I get very concerned. Mom - I have to call Trent back to make sure he is serious. So I do - and he leaves class to whisper and assure me that Yes, he is sure that he has accurate information.

Second Call - To my dad. .. His reaction is immediate gut laughter, probably one of the happiest laughs I have ever heard. I am still crying. In fact, I have now cried so hard - I have given myself a double-bloody nose. Feel free to be impressed. For the next hour or so I stick a movie on for Lucy and lay on the couch texting family and friends (including a couple more are you sure texts to Trent) and telling people I'll call them later when I can get the nose situation under control. I am so glamorous.

I really don't understand why things happen the way that they do. But I am so grateful for the rare opportunity to be back by our families. I don't know why Heavenly Father stepped in for us this time.. We wanted to go home, we didn't need to go home, and we would have done well in Ohio for the next four years I am sure. My family hadn't been home from their mission for too long before we left for medical school, so I haven't lived close to them for the past 7 years. My mom and I decided that we received a tender mercy. Either that or the kick butt suit I picked out for him at Nordstrom Rack was more powerful than I realized. We have loved our past 4 years here in Columbus and wouldn't trade them for anything, but we are excited for the next step in our lives coming this summer.

The rest of the day was spent in a state of shock and awe. I had the smarts to schedule book club at my house that night so we went to a late lunch to celebrate. We both had/have perma-grins, although mine is starting to fade because at 36 weeks pregnant stick a fork in me- I'm DONE and ready for our little girl to join the family. I'm so proud of Trent and so grateful that John Welling told him Utah likes to ask about favorite novels, without that To Kill a Mockingbird cram session he would have been hosed for sure. :)

Jamie

16 comments:

janae said...

Yup, you got me crying again!! I am so so so happy you guys are coming back home. I can't even wait to be able to spend more time together again. Izzy can't wait because "now Lucy can play at her house". Thank goodness for to Kill A Mockingbird!! Love you guys:)

linzi said...

Congratulations, again!!! We are so happy for you guys! How wonderful for you to be going home! Close to your family!

And, you had me crying, too! I could feel your happiness and excitement. I can't believe med school is almost over. Even though I couldn't be more happy for you, I have to admit, I'm going to miss you. We think the world of you guys!

bjahlstrom said...

That is so awesome, Jamie. Congratulations!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Jamie, this is such an emotional post! We're not even at that place in our lives yet and I can still feel like I'm right there in your shoes. COngrats, congrats, congrats on getting in to Utah! It will be wonderful for you guys and so nice to be back with family! ditto with Linz--we're gonna miss ya. But you're gonna rock the residency life! So happy for your answered prayers and tender mercies!

Cameron and Shannon said...

Yay! I'm still so excited for you guys! When do you make the big journey home?

Kerstin said...

i can't believe i haven't heard from you--wtf!!! thats awesome and you should definitely take credit for an awesome suit when called for. how funny. i actually teared up reading this because i can only imagine how hard it would be to be away from family for so long ESPECIALLY while pregnant!!! i am so excited for you to be back home, what great news. tell trent he is awesome.

Jordan said...

crying again... Still can't believe it. So excited. Can't wait to find 3 houses on the same street for you, me and Sara... oh and if the boys want to come too I guess they can.

Scottie and Angie said...

WOW what a great post, you will look back one day and be so happy for how perfectly you captured this moment. I loved how Trent said "we are going home". You will totally be missed, but I am so happy for you to be closer to home!
CONGRATS

heather said...

Hooray! So happy for you guys. I love how you explain your desire to want to be happy for Trent no matter what and show him your support. It's good advice for those of us going through the process in a month and a half! Is it really that close to being over? Crazy.

Julie Miller said...

Way to go! We are so happy for you guys! Can't wait to see you more.

Rex and Kacie said...

That story is amazing! I can only picture the double bloody nose and you falling on you knees at 8 months pregnant! I am so excited for you guys! I am extremely jealous! I am also sad that you won't be within driving distance of us any more. We are really going to miss you guys! I really hope we stay friends forever. Hopefully we will be moving back out west when we are done, too. We'll have to work on Rex.

linzi said...

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to take some pictures of your sweet new girl when she comes! Start looking for your favorite poses :) And, I still have your bags...I'll bring them on Sunday :)

Bryndie said...

I am so excited for you guys. Now we can get our girls together! YEAH!

The Arizona Leavitt's said...

We are so happy for you guys and proud of Trent. Also glad that you'll likely be in Utah when we decide to visit and can get together.

fonsy said...

I'm so stoked!

Stizz said...

So I'm finally taking the time to look at blogs again, so this comment is a little late, but...what an awesome story, well worth the double-bloody nose I'm sure. :) It's awesome when we get to see the Lord's love for us in ways we don't expect. I'm so happy for you guys, being around family will be great I'm sure. I will definitly miss you, I am really lucky to have you as a friend. I better stop getting all mushy before I end up with a bloody nose too. ;)