Monday, January 14, 2008

Survival

I have been a working mom for exactly 9 business days and it is absolutely the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I feel like I am being pulled in a million different directions and am not doing anything well.

Here is a little snapshot of my day today.

Lucys 2 month shots, cried, Pediatrician out of infant Tylenol, swore and cried, booked it to the store so she could get the medicine within 30 min of shots, gave Lucy infant Tylenol in the middle of the store with 2 minutes to spare, ran over my stroller with the 4runner, swore and cried, pumped while on a conference call praying no one would ask me what the noise was.

Listened to Lucy cry with Trent while I was in a meeting and dying to just run out the door and make her feel better. Worked 10 hours instead of 6, felt guilty for working 10 hours instead of 6. Still have 90 emails to respond to. Didn't unpack, didn't make dinner, didn't clean anything. Didn't exercise, didn't put makeup on. Too tired to do anything but hold my baby.

Moms are my heroes. Mom, I never thanked you enough for everything you did for me.

P.S how is a pediatrician out of infant tylenol? Honestly?

P.S.S or P.P.S Blogging is healthy venting, I feel much better now and am less likely to take this horrible day out on my husband!

13 comments:

The Robinson Family said...

Oh Jamie, I know how those days are. I promise that things will get easier (I know that is the last thing you want to hear when you are frustrated!)I have found that when I am the most frazzled after I put the kids down I MAKE time to take a bath. For me it gives me just a minute to breathe and refresh to take on the next crazy day. Hope things are better tomorrow.

Geri R said...

I remember days like that and I didn't have to work another job 10 hrs. Tears are good for you, I think. One day you will be able to look back on the whole day and laugh, but not yet for sure. Sorry about the stroller. Some days it just seem when it rains it pours. At least you didn't run into a pole sticking up in a parking lot where it didn't belong! Days like that are what Donnato's pizza is for. Or better yet,one of the best-ice-cream-in-the-country cones

fonsy said...

You are awesome Jamie. This is why I don't have children, because I would be totally mental. I seriously am not strong enough and I know you have had a hard day but I think you handled it really well considering.

Bryndie said...

Ohhh Jame, I feel so bad just listening to you vent. It about made me start crying. I swear when it rains it pours! It is amazing how much of your life is dedicated to the little one. It will get better I am sure. Being a mom is the hardest but best job in the whole world!!!

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Oh my gosh, what a hectic day. Moms really are amazing! What are you doing for work? 10 hours, I would seriously kill myself. I only work like 5 and that's already hard, you're my hero!

Jordan said...

I heard about your stroller. I am sorry you have had such a crappy day. I really don't know how you do it all. You inspire me. I really wish I could quit my job, me and Zac move out there and I could be your full-time nanny. Ha. I love little Lucy, it would be awesome. Hang in there. It will get easier...Not that I know first-hand. I have no kids, not even a dog. It just sounds good to say. Love ya

Kendall Watkins said...

I feel bad for you. Hopefully it will get better.

PARKERS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PARKERS said...

Jamie- I'm sorry you had such a crappy day but it is so entertaining to read about it on your blog! I'm sure everyone tells you this but IT DOES GET BETTER! Hang in there- and thank you for the recommendation on the "Boyfriend" sweats, as a fellow sweat wearer... I am totally ordering some!!

Kerstin said...

oh my gosh jamie i can't even imagine the things you are going through right now. i seriously am amazed by you...please help me through it when the time comes for me to attempt motherhood!

Gaby and Ben Kingery said...

I hate to say it . . . but quit work! TA is . . . well you know! These days when your little Lucy is still a baby can be so fun when you are not so stressed. Call me if you want to vent some more. I totally get it. Love you!

heather said...

Oh goodness - what a day! I have to admit ... you're not giving me a whole lot to look forward to here! But then again, looking at those pictures of Lucy, I bet it's all worth it in the end! :) Just wanted to let you know that I think you're amazing! Hope the rest of the week gets a little better!

The Arizona Leavitt's said...

Sounds like you had a pretty rough go. I feel your pain. Let me know if I can help you. It will be nice when we don't have to work outside of the house.