Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baby, Baby, Baby Ooh! Like Baby Baby Baby! Ruby Jane Richards 2.10.11

I told Trent last night that its only fitting that Ruby's theme song is Baby by Justin Bieber. I mean the Bieber is everywhere and its what I find myself singing to her when she has another case of these ridiculous hiccups... what a lucky little girl.. Anyway, Seeing as how two kids has me thrown for quite a loop I need to make sure I write all the details of the Rubix Cube's birthday so I don't succumb to my sleep deprived brain and forget... don't read if you don't like baby birth deets!

RUBY'S ENTRANCE!

At my 38 week appointment my Dr. told me that Ruby would be here any day and she doubted I would make it to my scheduled induction at 39 weeks. SHE WAS WRONG. I honestly think Ruby would have stayed in there forever, she was so cozy. Anyway my mom flew in the 8th and the 9th at 10 at night we went in to have this baby girl.

I was dilated to a 3 when I got started on the Pitocin at 10:30 p.m..  Cue the worst night EVER! At 1:30 a.m... still a 3, 3:30 a.m. still a 3. My mom and Trent are sawing logs and I am just laying there wanting to kill myself... I finally drift off to sleep around 4:30, an hour later the resident comes in and says your contractions have really picked up I'm sure you have progressed quite a bit... NOPE. 5:30 a.m. 7 HOURS of contractions. Still a 3. At this point she says - we're finally going to break your water and then things should progress really fast. Just my luck at that point my dr. had not one but two ladies in active labor come in to the hospital... so there I went to the back burner. I started throwing things at Trent to see if it would wake him up. I hit him in the chest with a spoon and NOTHIN. Seriously.

Fast-forward to 9:30 a.m. yep I have now progressed to a 4.. and I could not be any grouchier.. they finally come in and break my water - and I say ok - its time for the epidural.. After my water breaks the contractions get much more painful. In walks my anesthesiologist...(I am well aware that I probably didn't spell that right) now I know you aren't supposed to judge people based on appearance, but straight up after 11 hours of contractions with no progression and no sleep. I was a bit.. ahem.. on edge and the guy about to stick a giant needle in my back looked like a crazy person, no joke. I almost changed my mind.. I was gritting my teeth and telling Trent, this is why we only do this every 3 years! I learned my lesson though, because the epidural was great and so the moral of this story is don't judge an epidural giver by their cover. :)

I finally fell asleep for about a half an hour and woke up feeling quite a bit of pain. This made me even more mad.. I started yelling about how I had only had this epidural for 45 minutes and I already needed more juice and was clicking my little button like crazy. My mom said - Jam maybe its time to have the baby, and I said, Mom don't even say that because at this rate I am not having this baby until Sunday.  Then I got the shakes, never had those before, so that was also a fun experience! Long story kind of short, I  had dilated from a 4 to a 10 in those 45 minutes... After that everything happened so fast. My dr came in, asked if I was going to let Trent deliver the baby, I said why not, pushed a few times (I love how I make it sound so easy) and Ruby Jane made her LARGE appearance at 11:58 a.m. on February 10th.  She was 8 lbs, 13 oz. HUGE and gorgeous. Trent delivered her, and I cut the cord. I quote my doctor.. "WHERE have you been hiding this baby? If I had known she was this big we would have done this last week." We were dying at all of her rolls. Lucy was only 7 pounds so this was a new one for us to have such a chunker. She is beautiful and kind of looks like a fat Lucy, they both were born with sweet mullets :) I am just stoked that right off the bat I lost 8 lbs and 13 ounces. There is nothing like holding your newborn baby. What a blessing this little chubs is to our family.


 My face after being pumped with fluid for 14 hours! Lookin good. Our family of 4

Trent getting ready to catch the babe


 Leaving the hospital the next day - could not wait to get out of there! 


 Ruby has been such a good baby, minus the fact that she doesn't like to sleep, and all she wants to do is eat. She was losing weight instead of gaining for the first couple of weeks, and isn't back up to her birth weight yet, but is doing much better. Two kids is kind of rocking our world right now, not to mention trying to get our house ready for sale and get ready to move in a few months.    Lucy is loving having a little sister, but starting to show some major tude.  Hopefully we get over that soon. My mom was in town for a couple of weeks and I don't know what I would have done without her. Love you mom. This post is kind of random, please reference the above mention of sleep deprivation.. Gotta go, just heard a blowout from the other room!

10 comments:

Ellen said...

Jamie, you are seriously my favorite!!! I LOVE IT! She is ADORABLE and I'm totally happy for you!!

PS - I got the shakes with both my kids. Weird, isn't it?

Kerstin said...

wow you really had quite the ordeal getting her here! as chubby as she is, she is still SOOO tiny! i think stockton is 3x her size! how fun! well i'm so happy that everything went well and good luck with adjusting to two...i can't even imagine!

Jordan said...

I still can't believe that you have two chittlins. I can't wait to meet her in person and kiss her cute little fat cheeks. I am just so glad that when you move here I will be off for 3 months. Party!

Mechelle said...

I am so happy for you guys! She is so adorable! Getting them here is the worst part, then you can love on them forever! Congrats and good luck with everything!

Bryndie said...

I have been dieing to see pictures...heard you had her but since I am out of the face book world I have to wait for blog updates. She is gorgeous Jame! Congratulations!

bjahlstrom said...

Congratulations, Trent and Jamie and Lucy! I am so happy for you guys, and Ruby is so cute.

Stizz said...

I loved this post but it also scared me. Loved the title (now I have that song stuck in my head and will probably think of it everytime I see Ruby too now), loved all your comments when you were in the hospital. :) How awesome that Trent got to deliver her! Love the "Chubs", Ruby. BUT, a night of no sleep, tons of contractions and staying at a 3! A crazy person giving you an epidural, getting the shakes (what the?!)...yikes! But I guess all the good stuff out-weighs the scary stuff. :) So, so, so happy for you and I can't wait to see Ruby again.

Bart and Krista said...

I was laughing so hard at your "don't judge a epidural giver by his cover" comment. Glad you could push out that big babe. She is darling. Can't wait to see more pics. Hang in there! There's nothing more exhausting than your 2nd baby! (Well, until you have your third.)

Jeff, Erin, Macy, Owen& June said...

Jamie, that might have been my very favorite post you have ever done!!!! I kept laughing at you and how funny everything all sounds!:) I am not sure you planned that or not, regardless it makes me just love you even more! She is adorable! So happy your mom was there to help you out for the first little bit! Hopefully the tude will die down soon, but give it a couple of months! You and Trent are amazing parents and your girls are so lucky to have you! Isn't that a trip to see your family picture now with all four of you? I also like all the approved birthing pics you decided to put up, choose well!! Why don't you go take a nap while Ger's there and get a little sleep...although then your posts might not be as funny!

Jordan and Heather Humbert said...

You are funny when you are sleep deprived! Let's hang out before your baby starts sleeping through the night :). Good post - I love hearing a good birth story. Why didn't they break your water right when you got in there?! I bet you would have had her much sooner! I hate when I know more than Doctors do...